Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It's gonna be a "no"

I was asked on a date.
I can't do it. I can't.
I have it in my head that I can only date (yes, I know that TECHNICALLY going on a date is different from dating) people who I can see myself marrying. That may seem completely irrational, but I don't care. I've always felt that I was the only one who thought that way because everytime I explain it, people look at me like, Are you crazy? A date is like a free meal! And it's just fun!
No, I'm not crazy. And no, it's not a free meal. If I wanted a free meal, I would go to a soup kitchen. It's not free because people go on dates in hopes of finding loooove. I guess it's fun, but I can have fun coloring or going bowling with friends.
I finally finally finally heard someone say what I thought!
It was on the Real World. Chet went on a date with some chick and when he came back, Ryan asked, "So do you like her?"
"Well, yeh. We're going to see each other again."
"Okay, well just from tonight, could you see her being in your future? Like as your wife?"
"Psh. No. Definitely not."
"WELL THEN WHY WOULD YOU DATE HER IF YOU COULD NEVER SEE YOURSELF WITH HER IN THE LONG TERM??"
Then, he continued to rant.

I guess it is kind of hypocritical of me to say all of that. I've dated plenty of guys I never would have wanted to marry. Ever. I didn't love them. It was just what I said above: crazy, free, and fun.

If the person who asked me on the date reads this, I'm sorry.

No comments: